Here are some resources to help you get your new puppy settled.
- Prepare for your new puppy. Set up 3 areas:
- Set up a play pen or an enclosed area that will limit your puppy's access to things that could hurt them.
- Set up a crate for your puppy to sleep at night or for naps. Remember to remove your puppy's collar or harness before leaving them in a crate.
- Decide which house door you will take your puppy out when they need to go to the bathroom. Near this door have:
- A leash
- Waste bags
- A jacket for you
- Have plenty of puppy appropriate toys to play with
- Electrical cords moved or hidden so puppy cannot get them
- Curtains and other loose fabrics out of reach
- Feeding times (3 or 4 times daily)
- Times you will take your puppy out to go to the bathroom
- As soon as they wake up in the morning
- After every meal
- After they wake up from a nap
- After a lot of play indoors
- You will need to pick up your puppy’s water bowl 2 hours before bedtime at night. Put this time on the schedule.
- Training times. 5–10-minute sessions when you will start to work on gentle beginner training for your puppy. Things to work on right away:
- Gentle, no bit behavior
- Exchange a treat for what puppy has
- Gentle handling: touch ears, paws and toes, and face
| (left) Playpen for a small puppy|
(right) Crate for naps and night-time sized for the Puppy